Assistant Professor (and IEEE senior member)
Department of Electronics and Communications Engineering
Joint faculty at Mehta Family School of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, India.
Email: sparsh0mittal at gmail dot com; sparshfec at iitr.ac.in (which is an alias of sparsh.mittal at ece.iitr.ac.in and sparsh.mittal at mfs.iitr.ac.in)
Webpage of CANDLE research lab
Processor architectures for machine learning, neural network accelerators, autonomous driving vehicles, computer architecture (CPUs and GPUs), VLSI, high-performance computing, approximate computing.
Awards and Honors
1. In the Stanford's list of world's top researchers 2021, in the field of Computer Hardware & Architecture, I am ranked as number 71 (for whole career) and as number 3 (for year 2020). In 2020 list, I was ranked 107 (for whole career) and as number 3 (for year 2019 alone).
2. My research on mobile-phone usage detection was praised by Education Minister of India (1, 2, 3). It was covered by TOI, HinduBusinessLine, TelanganaToday, Andhrajyothi and many other media platforms.
3. My research has been covered by several technical news websites, e.g. Phys.org, TheMemoryGuy, InsideHPC (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8),† Primeur Magazine, StorageSearch 1, StorageSearch 2, StorageSearch 3, Data-Compression.info, TechEnablement, ScientificComputing, SemiEngineering (semiconductor engineering), ReRAM forum and HPCWire (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).
5. My application for recruiting a student on Intel PhD fellowship 2018 was approved.
6. Received Distinguished Contribution rating at ORNL based on 2013-2014 performance appraisal. This rating recognizes the top 10 percent of staff.
7. Received Outstanding Contribution rating at ORNL based on 2014-2015 performance appraisal. Also received a performance award.
8. Gave an invited presentation at Memory for HPC Systems session at ISC, Germany 2016. ISC is a top conference with 3000 attendees and bi-annual Top500 list is announced here.
9. Best student paper candidate in SC 2014
10. ECpE fellowship from Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Iowa State University, USA of $2500 in 2008.
11. Peer Research Award from Iowa State University, USA of $200 in 2013.
12. Topper in Electronics batch of year 2008 in ECE department at IIT Roorkee and received Institute Silver Medal for this.
13. Institute Silver Medal for Best B.Tech project award in Electronics and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department at IIT Roorkee.
14. Sumer Chand Jain Scholarship of INR 10,000 from IIT Roorkee.
15. Best Student Award from High School (named MHS, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India) in 2004. Topper throughout school
CORIDOR: Mitigating read-disturbance in STT-RAM: ACM TECS 2021
A pruning technique for CNNs JSA 2021
Modeling data-reuse in DNNs IEEE Trans. on Computers 2020
Deep-learning for detecting mobile usage GOODTECHS 2020
Improving accuracy of object detection algorithms using Multiscale Feature Aggregation Plugins ANNPR 2020
Co-Optimizing Hardware Utilization, and Performance of DNNs on Systolic Accelerator: ISVLSI 2020
Subspace attention module for compact DNNs: WACV 2020
Energy-efficient group convolution in DNNs: VLSID 2020
Approximate Load Value Prediction in GPUs: ICS 2019
Ramifications of making DNNs compact: VLSID 2019
NVM-based Swapping Framework for Guest OSes in VMs: IEEE Access 2017
Designing SOT-RAM based GPU register file: ISVLSI 2017
Addressing read-disturbance issue in STT-RAM cache: CAL 2017 (1)
Addressing write-disturbance issue in PCM memory: CAL 2017 (2)
Improving soft-error reliability of GPU register file: VLSID 2017
Inductive charge pump for 3D stacked PCM: GLSVLSI 2017
Improving soft-error reliability of SRAM caches: GLSVLSI 2016
Application resiliency modeling and metric: SC 2014
Machine learning/deep learning
FPGA-based accelerators for CNNs, Deep learning accelerators on NVIDIA Jetson, FPGA/GPU/ASIC accelerators for RNNs, Accelerators for 3D CNNs, Hardware accelerators for GANs (generative adversarial networks)
On comparison between energy efficiency of GPUs, FPGAs and CPUs
Networking and architectural techniques for mobile web browsing
System component-level: architectural techniques for
Architectural Management Techniques For
On security techniques for:
On memory technologies:
On question answering systems (natural language processing)
See http://publicationslist.org/sparsh0mittal for full publication list and download links.
The PowerPoint slides of a few conference presentations are available here. Summaries of survey papers can be obtained by clicking on summary PPT above.
2017/04: SERB early career research (ECR) award, title: Secure and Reliable Non-volatile Memories for Ultra-low Power Applications
2018/08: SRC USA, title: Designing efficient hardware-accelerators for Autonomous Driving Vehicles
Open-source software released
1. DESTINY: DESTINY is an acronym for 3D design-space exploration tool for SRAM, eDRAM and non-volatile memory. DESTINY can model:
* (2D/3D) SRAM and eDRAM
* (2D/3D, SLC/MLC) STT-RAM, ReRAM and PCM
* (2D, SLC/MLC) SOT-RAM, Flash, DWM
The proverb goes, write your own destiny. Hence, we have written our own [tool named] DESTINY. J
2. Code and trained model of our WACV-2020 paper ULSAM: Ultra-Lightweight Subspace Attention Module for Compact Convolutional Neural Networks
3. Code and trained model of our VLSID-2020 paper E2GC: Energy-efficient Group Convolution in Deep Neural Networks
4. Dataset and trained models of our GOODTECHS-2020 paper Detecting Usage of Mobile Phones using Deep Learning Technique
5. Both serial and parallel versions of code of red-black SOR (successive over-relaxation) method in three state-of-the-art languages, viz. Chapel (from Cray Inc.), D (also called dlang, from Digital Mars) and Go (also called golang, from Google) can be downloaded for academic use from this link. They were used in this paper. Chapel version of the code has been incorporated in Chapel performance test suite/examples.
* Xilinx, Hyderabad, 2019/07
* Intel India Research Colloquium 2017/10 (Bangalore)
* VelTech University, Chennai, India 2017
* PARCOMPTECH, Bangalore, India 2017 (organized by CDAC and DeitY)
* ISC Conference, Germany, 2016/06 (link)
* University of Michigan, 2015/11
* New York University 2016/02
Postdoctoral research associate at Oak Ridge National Lab, USA (2013-2016)
PhD from Iowa State University (ISU), Ames, Iowa, USA (2008-2013).
BTech from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India (2004-2008).
2018-03-08: A TLC workshop on Computer Organization, held at Anurag Group of Institutions, Ghatkesar
2017-11-10: On Advanced Computer Architecture, held at MITAOE (Pune, India)
2017-08-11: A TLC workshop on Computer Architecture, held at Anurag Group of Institutions, Ghatkesar
2017-03-04: A TLC workshop on Advanced Memory System Architecture, held at IIT Hyderabad
Associate editor of Journal of Systems Architecture
Reviewed proposals for three European research-funding agencies.
TPC member of: VLSID 2020
ACM: Computing Surveys (3 times), TACO (2 times), TECS (2 times)
IEEE: TNNLS 2021, TAI 2020, TETC 2018, DATE 2018, DFT 2016, CAL (3 times), Intelligent Systems, ISVLSI, JETCAS, Trans. on Computers (2 times), Trans. On VLSI Systems, TCAD (2 times), DFT, HiPC student research symposium
Springer: Cluster Computing, J. of Supercomputing, Springer book High Performance Computing in Power and Energy Systems
Elsevier: a book
IET CDT, MDPI Sustainability, Concurrency and Computation (2 times), Frontiers in Marine Science
2019 Fall: CS2323 Computer architecture (100 students)
2019 Spring: CS6490 Hardware architectures for deep learning, , CS3523 Operating system (with 1 faculty) and Network security (with 2 faculty)
2018 Fall: CS2323 Computer architecture (121 students)
2018 Spring: Advanced computer architecture, CS3523 Operating system (with 1 faculty) and Network security (with 2 faculty)
2017 Fall: CS2323 (Computer Architecture)
2017 Spring: CS5360 Advanced computer architecture and CS3523 Operating system (with S. Peri)
2016 Fall: CS2323 Computer Architecture (with A. Franklin) and CS5410 Advanced memory system architecture
Rujia Wang, University of Pittsburgh, USA 2016/05-2016/07
Seonglyong Gong, University of Texas, Austin, USA, 2016/05-2016/08
Matthew (Matt) Poremba, Penn State University, USA, 2014/06-2014/09
Sai Susmita (NIT, Trichy), Madhuri Gupta (NIT, Sikkim), Alina Bhutia (NIT, Sikkim), Suparno Ghoshal (Heritage Inst of Tech.)
Programming Languages/tools: C, C++, CUDA, Go (from Google), X10 (from IBM), Matlab, Simulink, System Generator (Xilinx), python, LaTeX, Gnuplot.
Architectural Simulators: Simplescalar, GEMS, Gem5, Sniper, MARSS, GPGPUSim.
S-303, ECE Building, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, Uttarakhand 247667